Tuesday, February 20, 2007

If "The Soddy" means "The Craptacular"

This comic, the entertainingly named "Crap I Drew On My Lunch Break," nicely skewers "For Better or For Worse."

The first panel is my favorite. I forgot exactly how bad Mike's novel was until I went back and read about it in the official site letters. OMG is it crap, with a capital "CR."

Also, check out some of the novel's proposed names. I'm torn as to which is worse: "The Soddy" or "Let Me Be Judged By God." Plus, Mike totally stole "As God Is My Witness" from Margaret Mitchell.

Update: JoshReads.com has some awesome comments about the proposed titles and Mike's writing in general. Heh, I thought "Prayrie" was some kind of "womyn" feminist thing, turns out I was completely overlooking the "pray" part. I guess...she prayed to survive her abusive husband on the prairie! Pray+prairie=prayrie, get it? Yeesh.

I also like the reader title suggestions, including "The Year of Droning Endlessly" and "How FOOB Was My Valley."

8 comments:

  1. "The living buried the dead."

    is there an alternative to this approach with which i am unfamiliar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:42 AM

    Bad? Whew. "She has given birth four times - two stillborn children and two living. The living buried the dead." So the living babies picked up shovels and buried the dead babies...? Or in a general sense, the living people buried the dead people? Ooh, deep. (I thought only the living dead buried the dead. Maybe a zombie novel would work better.)

    And why is the type on that page almost too small to read?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:36 PM

    The best title is clearly "Growing Stones." Growing stones!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:55 PM

    Wow. That is pretty horrible writing. I think we know why Lynn stuck with drawing pictures. That novel is the pretentious crap that students submit in a creative writing exercise.

    As for a title, how about Growing Stoned?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:08 PM

    I like "Twelve by Twenty Four (the dimensions of the house" but only if that subtitle stays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:12 AM

    I agree, 'growing stones' is a great title, though it does have conotations wof kidney stones... the only ones you actually can grow (as far as I'm aware).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sweet merciful crap, I had never read any of the 'novel' before. Even the parts about his own life are writen in such a twee, sweeping epic style.

    I can see why that publisher wanted rights to the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:43 PM

    Oh Jeebus, I just read the latest strip. Why do I do this to my drunken self?

    ReplyDelete