Saturday, March 07, 2009

Booking it

OK, I'd been semi-coveting the Amazon Kindle for some time, as I said.
Then the Kindle 2 came out and it still didn't have a backlight, so I resisted again.

I really just want to download books to my iPhone, I would say to anyone who would listen.

And then Amazon heard my request, and more! There's now a FREE iPhone Kindle app. You still have to pay for any books you buy (although you can often download a chapter for free, to see if you want the whole thing), but you can read them right on your phone, meaning I can read them in the dark, or at the dentist's office, or while rocking Kelly to sleep, or anywhere I have my phone handy. Bless you, Amazon.

I've already bought two books, plus one freebie. The freebie was "The Magnificent Ambersons," a classic favorite of mine. The two I paid for are "The Book of Dahlia," a novel about a young Jewish woman who's kind of living off her parents' generosity in Venice, Calif., and suddenly discovers she has cancer, and Laura Lippmann's "What the Dead Know," about a woman who suddenly claims she is one of two girls who disappeared years ago at a shopping mall.

It's scarily easy to buy and download books via the Kindle iPhone app. I'm going to need to remind myself not to go overboard...


2 comments:

  1. I loved What the Dead Know. I read the paper version, though I'm sure it's still good in digital form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:43 AM

    What The Dead Know is wonderful.

    The Sony EBook reader has an add on light that you can buy for it which is really cool. We have both a Kindle and a Sony but I haven't played much with either one.

    ReplyDelete