Monday, August 01, 2005

????????


You know about the Mystery Flavor of Dum-Dum lollipops, right? The label just says "MYSTERY FLAVOR" and a bunch of question marks, and the flavor ... well, it's a mystery. I had one today (because I am nothing if not a faultlessly healthy eater), and got to wondering what exactly the "Mystery Flavor" is.

Apparently that question is asked so often that Spangler Candy Company, maker of the Dum-Dum, lists it in its FAQ. And the answer? Well...instead of cleaning out the machine between flavors, it seems that they kind of just...keep running them, so some Dum-Dums come out with bits of both the old and the new flavor mixed in. Which is actually cooler than what I assumed, which was that they just threw a "Mystery Flavor" wrapper on a random lolly. I'm pretty sure the one I had today was solid bubble-gum flavor, though.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I learned that while watching Food TV's "Unwrapped"...very cool, indeed.

Anonymous said...

I always assumed it was a trick to make me eat one of the heinous root beer Dum-Dums, so I avoided the ??? flavor. It's good to know the truth.

I wonder when my dream of being able to buy an all-Cream Soda bag of Dum-Dums will come true...

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I always thought it was plum!