Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Gone to the dogs

Sports Illustrated is a damn fine magazine, even if you think you're not a big sports fan.

This article about Michael Vick and the creepy world of dogfighting (written by former PiPress Pulitzer Prize winning writer George Dohrmann) is really only tangentially about sports -- it's about a dark underbelly of American culture, and makes me want to run out and save every maltreated or homeless animal I can find.

You ever get the feeling humanity doesn't deserve the animal kingdom sometimes? Yeah, me too. I bet when the dogs and cats are in charge, they'll treat us way better than we do them. We'll make great pets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was some seriously disturbing stuff. I think I'm going to be nauseated the rest of the day after reading all that. Even if charges are pressed, I don't expect Michael Vick will get much of a penalty. That other guy who had so much more evidence against him only got a deferred sentence? I don't even know what the point of that is. I'm going to hug my beagle a lot when I get home. She will have her sleepy buttered-toast smell because she spends the entire day snoozing underneath a big fluffy comforter that we got just for her. I don't suppose dogfighters would ever understand that, any more than I can understand them.