Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Kelly Girl

There's a rare Kelly Girl doll up for sale on eBay, which of course I find funny now that we have a Kelly Girl of our own. Apparently the temp agency started selling these and had to yank them because people were offended that it was portraying women as dolls. Um, what? I find that much less offensive than the term "Kelly Girl" for adult female temporary workers.

But in my own context, I find "Kelly Girl" a sweet term of endearment for our new baby. Aww...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I temped for Kelly in the late 1980s, and I tended to be amused if someone referred to me as a Kelly Girl, given my linebacker-gone-to-seed proportions.

Kelly said...

I'm a Kelly and my dad still affectionately calls me "Kelly Girl" sometimes. :)

Congrats on YOUR Kelly Girl. :)

Brachinus said...

Same here, I was happy to call myself a Kelly Girl, even though I'm a guy. But I guess it's different when it's not obvious that "girl" is meant jokingly.

But are you sure you want to give your baby a nickname that tells her she's only a temp? ;)

Congrats on the family addition!