Thursday, May 29, 2008

Grocery shopping Down Under

My friend Chiara is back in the U.S. after more than a year spent working in New Zealand, where I got to live vicariously through her fun posts. Her first U.S. post today linked back to one of her earliest NZ posts, where she marvels at the many unusual foods she finds in their grocery store.

I love it because it reminds me of when we wandered into a Japanese grocery store in Tokyo after going to church in Meguro, and discovered everything from milk in a tube to yogurt sold with mini marshmallows to little crackers dressed like geisha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to be an opera singer, which involved being in foreign countries not just for a couple of days, but weeks on end. Grocery shopping was always one of my favorite things to do. Oddly enough, I found Canada weirdest - they have the same stuff, but IN DIFFERENT PACKAGING. Bizarro world grocery stores!

Cristiane