Friday, April 23, 2010

Hold on to your heart

Damn, there were a lot of articles that tugged at my heart this morning and made me want to hug Kelly extra tight.

Alicia Parlette, who kept a wonderfully engaging journal about her struggle with cancer in the San Francisco Chronicle, has died at just 28. Here's more at her personal page.

I thought her journal was masterful and wished she'd write a book; when she stopped writing in the Chronicle, I worried that she'd gotten worse and would occasionally Google her. I know others did the same. Her mother had died of cancer just three years before Alicia was diagnosed, which made it all the sadder. So young, so young. She was the same age as my friend Ann when Ann died of a pulmonary embolism in 1995.

Mom makes film about daughter's fatal struggle with bulimia.

Dad writes about his two young children accidentally being burned with boiling water.

No comments: