Sunday, July 31, 2005

We all scream


I can't tell you the last time I was in a Baskin-Robbins (though they certainly seem more prevalent here in Seattle than back in Minnesota), but I got a kick out of their new summer flavors.


  • Bumble Buzz: Honey ice cream with chocolate coated honey comb pieces and a dark fudge ribbon. (They make it sound like they actually raided a beehive for honey comb, but I imagine it's honeycomb candy, not actual honeycomb. Still, this does nothing for me -- honey grosses me out.)

SPF-31: Coconut ice cream with coconut macaroon pieces swirled with banana ice cream. Wins for best summer name. I love coconut, though fake banana is often a yucky flavor. I think I'd have mixed coconut with pineapple here for that true pina colada taste, and left out the banana entirely.

Splish Splash: Blue raspberry sherbet swirled with blueberry sorbet. You'd think from the description that this would be two totally cool blue ice creams swirled together, but apparently one of them (I'm assuming the blue-raspberry sherbet) is white, so it only looks half as cool.

Thunder 'n Lightning: Chocolate fudge ice cream with chocolate pieces and milk chocolate mousse ice cream with a marshmallow ribbon. Damn, this sounds good -- chocolate and marshmallow combined make up my favorite ice-cream flavor ever, though I could do without the chunks of hard chocolate. And how I could ever order this flavor without singing this song is beyond me, really.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, thunder and lightning makes me think of the song "Knock on Wood" by Amii Stewart.

Anonymous said...

Or "Dance Magic Dance" sung by David Bowie, the Goblin King in "Labyrinth".

GoBetty said...

If I invented ice cream flavours -
'Mojito':
Mint
Lime
Esssence of White Rum
More icy than creamy
(why must geezer-friendly 'Rum Raisin' be the only ice cream flavour to exploit the delicious booziness of rum?)

Eliza said...

Baskin-Robbins is pretty nasty in general, but there's a BR on my corner and no Haagen-Dasz in the neighborhood, so once in awhile, I forget how bad it is and go. I freaking love honey and thought that Bumble Bee thing would be amazing. Thankfully I asked for a sample taste first. Eww. It tastes exactly as bad as something that horrifiying shade of yellow SHOULD taste. More like Bristle Block plastic than honey. With the consistency of Bubble Yum. And then the honeycomb chunks just felt like the ice cream hadn't even been consistently mixed.

Maybe they just ground up the actual bees rather than the honey. I don't know.

Anonymous said...

I am still waiting for them to bring back my 80s childhood fave peanut butter candy crunch... Sigh.

That thunder one sounds kinda good though.

madelyn said...

While the new flavours sound good...I too long for the peanut butter candy crunch...I only have vague memories of it. I recently started making icecream at home (thanks to my thrifted $3 icecream maker...)I've been trying to replicate it....I am actually sitting here eating my sad, sad version of it. it's good, but it's not as good as the original...