Wednesday, August 31, 2005

After-School Traumas

I was so excited when the After School Specials started coming out on DVD that I bought the first two volumes, and then realized I didn't like or remember many of those early-1970s shows. Whoops!

Now they've continued to come out with more years, and they've finally gotten to more of the ones I do remember. They also had the best titles: Did you hear what happened to Andrea? She Drinks a Little!

The Onion's AV Club has a fun piece dissecting The Anatomy of After School Specials. I don't know which photo is better, Kristy McNichol pushing a kid in a wheelchair or a babyfaced Rob Lowe cradling his own supposed baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone else remember that, in addition to the After School Specials (I think they ran on ABC), CBS also had their own called "School Break Specials"? Kids today are missing out on the experience of rushing home from school to view an hour of trauma, and then eagerly discussing it during lunch at school the next day (or, if it was an especially noteworthy episode, DURING CLASS ITSELF). Good times, good times.

Aaron Allermann said...

I'm going to wait for the ones where everything led to a car crash.