Monday, August 08, 2005

Shop till your mall drops

I've commented before on how much I love sites like deadmalls.com. Here's another old mall site, Malls of America (no relation to the Mall of America, by the way).

This Aurora Village mall location shown on the site is not terribly far from us, but the mall isn't there anymore. Comments posted to the site say that it's right around where the Costco now is. Apparently the mall was gone by 1991, 10 years before Rob and I moved to Seattle, so we've been driving past this spot and shopping at Costco never knowing someone's old mall was once there.

I personally think Seattle is a terrible city for shopping, but then maybe I'm spoiled, coming from the home of the Mall of America and the four Dales. Not to mention sweet ol' Har Mar.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great photo! I live 3 blocks from there and correct me if I'm wrong, but everyone still refers to it as the Aurora Village Mall! There's another great photo of it on the King County Historical website, in their photo archive. Talk about a great way to waste an entire day's work! Searching through that archive has been way too much fun.

Kaijsa said...

It's still called Aurora Village, but I think it's officially a "shopping center." The old mall there had a really small Nordstrom that I loved. I remember getting my Christmas dresses there.

Anonymous said...

We used to go visit my great aunt and great uncle in St. Paul every year! I know the Har Mar Mall well!

Anonymous said...

Go to Alderwood! It's turning into a combo between UVillage and Northgate. And a huge movie theater to boot.