Saturday, August 20, 2005

Well, that takes the cake


I almost never go to ice-cream shops (in the immortal words of Alice, too much ice cream makes for too much Marcia), but this summer, on a road trip from LA to Seattle, we were in Bend, Oregon and decided to go to a Cold Stone Creamery.

Todd and I stood in line and discussed the concept of cake batter ice cream, and after a sample, I ended up ordering a small bowl. Mmm, delicious, and eerily accurate -- it was kind of like eating ice cream out of a bowl that had first been slathered with real cake batter. It was too sweet for more than about half of a small serving, but still, it was shocking how close they came to the real thing.

But now it looked like cake-batter ice cream is no more, thanks to some nasty cases of salmonella. Yikes! But according to their site, they're working on a safer version of the flavor. You can sign up to get e-mail when the new flavor is, uh, baked.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the cake batter ice cream is a wonderful thing, and I was sad to see it go. But, if you like cotton candy, try their cotton candy flavor--it won't disappoint, but it's no cake batter.

Anonymous said...

I work at a ColdStone, and you'd be surprised how many people are insane about the cake batter. What a disaster it was when corporate pulled it - we were instructed to NOT tell anyone why it was really gone and offer other flavors and etc. Fortunately, it is coming back. Yeah, like they'll tell us when. I've heard the end of summer.
-sarah

Anonymous said...

I had the Cold Stone cake batter ice cream in L.A. last winter; the first four bites were great, and then the rest was a grim march to the finish. And I have a serious, pathological sweet tooth. I think it would be better as a topping for some other kind of ice cream, in the manner of Marshmallow Fluff.

Anonymous said...

Gael, do you know there is a Cold Stone Creamery in Fremont?

Anonymous said...

I have not had that, but Ben and Jerry's have a new flavor - Brownie Batter - that is absolutely fantastic! It is chocolate ice cream, with the brownie batter folded in. I am a good ice cream eater anyway, but this flavor has been my favorite all summer.

Copy Editor said...

I applied to work at a ColdStone. I was very sad to not get the job. To prove what a dork I am? I liked the idea of singing for tips. It seemed fun. That and I sort of figured if I spent enough time around ice cream I'd stop eating so much of it (like when I worked in a pizza place and never wanted to look at mozzerella again).

I LOVE ColdStone. I've never tried the cake batter because it looked too sweet. But What I wouldn't give at this moment for a cheesecake ice cream with strawberries and grahm crackers mixed in. MMMM.

Matt said...

Next time you're at Cold Stone, try the cheesecake ice cream with graham cracker and cherry pie filling mix ins. Yummmm.