Monday, October 17, 2005

Booking it

TIME has a list of what it calls the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to now. (Via Kottke.)

Here are the ones I've read:

  • "An American Tragedy." (and Rob's uncle Mike was in the movie made from it, "A Place in the Sun." He plays the motorcycle cop who pulls over Liz Taylor for speeding. "Third time this summer, Miss Vickers.")
  • "Animal Farm." I read this for school, and loved it. I distinctly remember writing an alternate ending in which Boxer kicks his way out of the truck taking him to the glue factory. Uh, did I need a spoiler warning there?
  • "Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret?" My mom didn't explain periods to me, Judy Blume did.
  • "Beloved." Like "Roots," it seared the horrors of slavery into the minds of those who never knew them.
  • "Catch-22." It's a book, it's an expression, it's a classic.
  • "Gone With the Wind." Because there's so much more to it than the movie, as sweeping and grand as it was, could ever show. I still think of Scarlett remembering her mother whenever she caught the aroma of lemon verbena on the air, and of her mother keeping her own secret love hidden till the day she died.
  • "The Grapes of Wrath." Rob and I were just in Salinas for the first time recently, and I felt kind of hushed by the place because of this amazing book.
  • "Gravity's Rainbow." Ha, no, I'm just kidding. I was an English major but I still don't have the guts to tackle this puppy.
  • "The Great Gatsby." St. Paul's own F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote it. Bill Gates reportedly has the last line engraved around the ceiling of his library. Rob and I once used a quote from it for a party invitation. This book has it all.
  • "Light in August." When I started college, the whole freshman class had to read this. I think I was way too young to appreciate it.
  • "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe." Not a kid's book, really, but often presented as one. And soon to be a movie. Wow, that'll be ... weird.
  • "Lolita." It's 50 this year, and probably couldn't be written today. Recently a publicist for the book's 50th anniversary re-release called me to promote it, but it drove me nuts that he didn't know how to pronounce "Nabokov." (He said "Na-BOK-ov." Didn't he ever hear the Police song?)
  • "Lord of the Flies." And if you haven't read it, at least watch the genius "Simpsons" parody of it.
  • "Lord of the Rings." I am slowly finishing the third book now, after a year or more of having left it on the shelf halfway finished. I can appreciate what people see in fantasy, but I'll never be a cultie.
  • "Never Let Me Go." Whoa, a 2005 book on the list, and one I read so recently it's still incredibly fresh in my mind. I loved this, though it did remind me a tad of "Clonus," a "Mystery Science" movie.
  • "1984." Sometimes I feel like I am still living it today. We have always been at war with Eurasia.
  • "On The Road." Of this book Capote supposedly said: "it's not writing, it's typing?" To them I say this: "So in America when the sun goes down and I sit on the old broken-down river pier watching the long, long skies over New Jersey and sense all that raw land that rolls in one unbelievable huge bulge over to the West Coast, and all that road going, all the people dreaming in the immensity of it, and in Iowa I know by now the children must be crying in the land where they let the children cry, and tonight the stars'll be out, and don't you know that God is Pooh Bear? The evening star must be drooping and shedding her sparkler dims on the prairie, which is just before the coming of complete night that blesses the earth, darkens all rivers, cups the peaks and folds the final shore in, and nobody, nobody knows what's going to happen to anybody besides the forlorn rags of growing old…”
  • "Portnoy's Complaint." Read this in Literature of Judaism in college. Never looked at liver the same way again.
  • "Rabbit, Run." I have mercilessly mocked Updike in the past, maybe because I'm not a white male growing up in 1960, but I'm almost interested enough to re-read it now, as a period piece.
  • "Slaughterhouse Five." And anyone who knows me from Minnesota days knows that I have Dave W. to thank for this one. Dave who carries a copy with him, who dressed as a Tralfamadorian for Halloween, who regularly exchanges letters with Kurt Vonnegut.
  • "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold." One of the few books my mom kept in the bathroom, for some reason, along with a biography of Jonas Salk. Over the years, I read both a zillion times. You spend a lot of time in the bathroom of your childhood house. Why I was too stupid to ever figure out that I could store other books in there I cannot say. But I sure know a lot about the polio vaccine.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Gravity's Rainbow" is indeed a tough slog. I will admit that I picked up "A Gravity's Rainbow Companion" to go with it (and had to consult it a lot as I read), but I stopped after about 300 pages or so and haven't picked it up again (maybe on our next Mexico trip). It's an extremely dense book; "Infinite Jest" seems like a comic book by comparison.

You should definitely check out "Catcher In The Rye" and "Neuromancer". And it's not on Time's list, but David Foster Wallace's collection of essays "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" is fantastic.

Dimestore Lipstick said...

"My mom didn't explain periods to me, Judy Blume did."

Ditto.

Anonymous said...

And of course there's less than twenty by women. And there are a few women who have two so there aren't that many female authors on the list.

Anonymous said...

It is Na-BOK-ov. Sting is wrong.

Annie Bulloch said...

You never read To Kill A Mockingbird? I had to read it TWICE. I'm in Texas; maybe it's more prevalent down here.

I've read most of the ones on your list, plus A Clockwork Orange, To Kill A Mockingbird, A Passage to India, The Sun Also Rises, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Watchmen.

The book publicist was pronouncing Nabokov's name correctly. Sting wasn't. The emphasis really is placed on the second syllable. It's possible it drove him nuts that YOU didn't pronounce it properly, but then again he's probably used to it. ;)

Anonymous said...

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW isn't as tough as reading James Joyce. The problem is its length. But it rewards those who endure until the end.

George Kelley

Gael Fashingbauer Cooper said...

Wait, "Catcher in the Rye" was on the list? Missed that, of course I read it.

And on Na-BOK-ov, the PR guy only left a message, so it wasn't like I was saying it back to him. I asked my co-worker who majored in English and she also thought he was wrong. As I don't know Russian, we stand corrected.

Copy Editor said...

Wow. I thought I was well-read, but I haven't read many of those books at all.

Personally, I would have put God of Small Things on the list. That's one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read.

April Patterson said...

Ooh, definitely read Gravity's Rainbow--it's so worth it! And the emphasis in Nabokov is indeed on the second syllable. I think Sting's pronunciation comes from the British habit of placing the stress on the first syllable (witness the British pronunciation of ballet!). Or Edward Said; last name = "sah-YEED," unless you're British. Then you say "SIGH-yid."

Anonymous said...

"White Teeth" by Zadie Smith- I'm so glad to see this here! She was so young when she wrote it, and it is sooo great! As another newer novel, I'd add "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Anonymous said...

I love lists like this, even though they're sort of futile since nobody will ever agree with them. Like the Modern Library one that came out in 2000. I've read 31 of the books (after dropping my English major, so maybe not being in English frees you up to read more?) and at least my all time favorite (Pale Fire) made it.

As for the Nabokov thing, he explains somewhere in his own work, or maybe it's in his biography as a quote from him, that it's pronounced to rhyme with the phrase "the gawk of" with the emphasis on gawk.