Sunday, December 23, 2007

What about prom, Blaine? WHAT ABOUT PROM?

My pal Kim Reed linked to this great prom catalog a while ago, and I find it highly entertaining.

Unlike Kim, I didn't help plan my proms, I just went to 'em, and I don't remember that we had any complex and organized theme -- just songs. Junior year's theme was Lionel Richie's "All Night Long" and senior year was El DeBarge's "Rhythm of the Night." Yes, it was the 80s, why do you ask?

I have no scary prom stories or traumatic memories. I wore a gorgeous white Jessica McClintock gown (actually from her Romantic Renaissance Bridal Collection) both times, was crazy about my date (different guys) both times, and double-dated with my dear friend Ann and pal Steve both times. Once, apparently we looked so much like a bride and groom that homeless people stopped us outside the hotel to say "You just getta married? You give me dollar?"

Anyway, since I wasn't on the planning committees, I had no idea that the folks who were got to page through catalogs like this and pick themes like Celebration Island or Forever For Tonight. Isn't that last one an oxymoron? I also think they are defying truth in advertising since this Everlasting Staircase does not appear to be everlasting.

Kim already pointed out the awesomest theme: Stairway to Heaven, complete with A Bustle in Your Hedgerow Flowerpots.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one called "Starlit Paradise" looks a lot like the decorations from Carrie White's Prom...

Anonymous said...

I was on the prom committee, and ours was about 50% comprised of hot glue and Duct Tape. Magical night, indeed.

Anonymous said...

If you liked that prom catalog check out this one...

http://www.stumpsprom.com/

BC said...

Oh, god, I had totally forgotten that I was on prom committee junior year. I did not actually go to the prom, but I was on the committee! I don't remember which theme we went with, but I do remember a knock-down fight over whether it should be "Purple Rain" or "A Night In Heaven." (I think the latter was a movie about a male stripper that included that Bryan Adams song.)

Now that I think about it I am pretty sure we did go with "Purple Rain," and I am pretty sure that it was just as perplexing then as it is now, because it makes no sense as a theme. I vaguely recall purple foil stars and some streamers that looked a little like rain.

The best part was actually auditioning prom bands. You go to these big showcases where dozens cover bands do a couple of songs, and people from a bunch of high schools are there to choose their bands. Some of them were TERRIBLE and it was like a preview of American Idol, I swear.

A few years ago I found the list my best friend and I had of the bands we'd seen, along with our ratings, and one of the bands on the list was City Kidd ... a local band later known to all of you as Tesla.