Thursday, April 24, 2008

Draft dodging

Sometimes I think I would have made a good frat boy. Well, not really, as I am not so big on the beer-bonging and the roofie-slipping. But I would be very, very good at lounging around the frat house in my underwear watching day-long sporting events, like the first day of the NCAA tournament or the NFL Draft.

No, I really would. I would be especially good at smirking while Golden Boys like Brady Quinn sit and watch their stock drop hour by agonizing hour. Because even though these players can still buy and sell me a zillion times, schadenfreude is fun!

Anyway, that's all just a prelude to say I loved this hilarious defense of the draft, as found on Deadspin. I especially love that it's written by a fellow Vikings fan, since our team once let the clock run out on them and fell down two draft spots. (He makes a cogent argument that this wasn't necessarily a bad thing.) Yes, there's a lot of swearing, but it's in that over-the-top David Mamet way that doesn't bug me.

Excerpt: "Everyone Getting A Jersey With A Number One On It: This isn't Kiddie League Teeball. There's only one #1 pick, and that's the only guy who should get to hold up a #1 jersey. After that, you should get a jersey with a number that corresponds to your draft slot. The #1 jersey makes all the white players look like kickers, and all the black players look like Warren Moon."

Also, the draft will be liveblogged at Kissing Suzy Kolber. Sweet.

1 comment:

Galileo said...

Sometimes I think I would have made a good frat boy. Well, not really, as I am not so big on the beer-bonging and the roofie-slipping.

I'm not either, but I pull off the frat thing quite well, lol.