Saturday, May 10, 2008

I want to be a cowboy sweetheart, I want to learn to rope and ride*

I thought this was a joke: Joyce Carol Oates is coming out with a novel based on the JonBenet Ramsey case, only instead of a beauty-pageant contestant, the little girl is an ice skater. It's true. And you know I'm going to read it. It's called "My Sister, My Love, The Intimate Story of Skyler Rampike," and you can preorder it from Amazon. Check out the innocently creepy cover.


Apparently in the end of the book, the mystery is solved in a letter from the Patsy Ramsey character. If only.


*The subject title is lyrics from a disturbing song JonBenet Ramsey sang in the "talent" competition for some pageant or other. They show the clip constantly on TV, or did, when her case was hot.

2 comments:

Jennifer Goodland said...

Suzy Bogguss did a nice, not-creepy rendition of "Cowboy's Sweetheart," it was the version I loved before the Jonbenet mess hit and I just knew it was going to ruin it...

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

I can't hear those lyrics without thinking of JonBenet, actually, so thoroughly did that case infect my brain.

I actually don't think her parents did it. I know I'm one of the only people in the world who believes that, but when you hear how thoroughly bungled the case was from the start, it's not exactly the "perfect crime" that it was made out to be.

I don't actually know why I CARE about it being solved so much, when there are far more pressing issues in the world, but I really can't stand an unsolved mystery.