Thursday, January 29, 2009

1940s candy

Blast from the past: A grabbag of 1940s candy. I wonder if my mom and dad would find this interesting?
I've heard of most of these, but some are mysteries to me (Canada Mints? French Chew? What's with the nationalized candy?)

Others are still fairly common and I never really associated them with the 1940s. (Jujubes are a '4os thing? Red Hots? Necco Wafers? Minnesota's own Pearson's Salted Nut Rolls?)

You would think I would be able to better relate to the 1970s package, but not really. I kind of thought Freshen-Up gum and Pop Rocks were more an 1980s thing (there's a 1980s package, too). Obviously I need to open my own retro candy by-the-decade store and sell my own packages.

Wow, there's even a 1990s package, which just doesn't seem that retro to me. Candy Necklaces? Jolly Ranchers? Are there really any 1990s kids who find these tough to come by, or who are really pining away for a watermelon Jolly Rancher as the Proust's madeleine taste of their childhood?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, "freshen up" is most definitely more of a 70's thing...I remember loving that as a LITTLE kid (and I was in junior high in 1980).

Anonymous said...

Fun Dip and Nerds say '80s to me.

Anonymous said...

Looks like Pixy Stix are for the ages. And as a child of the 70s, I have fond memories of Zotz--Where the fizz is.