Tuesday, December 01, 2009

I fight authority, authority rmmze hlfph snrtl


I always found John Cougar Mellencamp's "Authority Song" really catchy, but it wasn't until I heard it again on the 1980s station tonight that I realized I really never learned the words.

Quick, what's the first line? "Oh, they like to get you in a compromising position," according to this site. Never knew that.

But the one I really never knew was "oh, I've been doing it since I was a young kid, I..."

Come out a redneck? Come out a ramblin'? Cave in a ramble? Apparently it's "come out grinning," but I swear, I could listen to that song a thousand times (and have) and would never have heard that line that way.

I also never understood the line that the lyrics sheet says is "so I call up my preacher, I say 'give me strength for Round 5.'"

Round Five? I thought it was "give me a fateful answer." Since when is there a round five? Is he a boxer? What happened to rounds one through four?

Perhaps I am too stupid to even listen to music.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gael--have you heard about Mellencamp's kid starting a Facebook campaign to get John to stop smoking?

Deanna said...

I thought it was "come out redneck" too! (Although I suspected I might be wrong.)