Monday, July 19, 2010

Name your kid after a car you can't afford: Bentley!

How snooty are these new-fangled baby names?

Tenley? Wasn't she on The Bachelor?

Harper? Did you name her in honor of Valerie Harper, or your momma who socked it to the Harper Valley PTA? (Update: Yes, Harper Lee...whose real name was Nelle.)

Castiel? Wasn't that Heaven Leigh's last name (Casteel) in the VC Andrews book?

Also, I fear that Tenley, Kinley, Tinsley and Kinsley are the new Aiden, Jayden, Brayden, Cayden and Peyton.

(Thanks to Meghan for the link!)

10 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, goodness. Castiel is the name of one of the characters on Supernatural. He's an angel. And...I have a distinct feeling that's why the name is trending.

Wow.

Ghost Writer said...

My baby girl's middle name is Harper, but it's after Harper Lee, author of my favorite book, To Kill a Mockingbird.

mo pie said...

I agree with you on everything except Harper. I love that name! Come on, Harper Lee!

We met a kid a few years ago named Zaden and I was joking to my husband that they'd have to circle all the way back around to "Aaden." Then a new list of baby names came out, and what was on the list? Aaden. No kidding.

Anonymous said...

Haven't you ever heard of Harper Lee? It's not a new name.

Anonymous said...

Our alumni association president named his daughter Ainsley. I just don't understand.

Ann S. said...

'Sookie' made the list??? "No, sweetie. Instead of naming you after grandma, I decide to honor the torn-between-two-vampires telepathic barmaid."

Megg said...

As a teacher, I see all kinds of weird names. There's been Rogue, Blade, Snowflake, Hazard, Nacho, Gambit.

Anonymous said...

There are three toddlers on our block, Kinsley, a girl and Kelsen and Griffin, boys.

NYCGirl said...

St. John?! I feel like I could mention my verification word (bagipin) and someone would think it would make a lovely name: "You can call him Pinny for short!" (Not Baggy, though. That would just be SILLY. :p)

Anonymous said...

Tenley Albright won an Olympic Gold Medal in figure skating in 1956.