Thursday, February 12, 2015

Sigmund, you are a rotten sea monster!

So apparently Amazon is remaking "Sigmund and the Sea Monsters" for a new generation. And I think I am in sync with all Gen Xers everywhere when I say, "WHATCHOO TALKIN' ABOUT, WILLIS?"



One cannot simply remake a Sid and Marty Krofft production. The charm of the Kroffts, the reason we're still talking about their shows today, is the innocent goofiness of the whole thing. The terrible costumes, the weak special effects, the canned laughter, the bad scripts. We loved it, but it was about the only thing on, and we also loved Twinkies and Sharkleberry Fin Kool-Aid too.

I love the reader comment on io9 that suggests:

"What we need is for someone to take the concept of Land of the Lost and redo it in a completely serious way with good special effects for the Sleestak. God I still remember the pylons that had the crystals in it that could control the weather. Then to find out the Sleestak had an evolutionary regression to become the mindless beings they were, when they used to be incredibly intelligent. That stuff blew my little mind way back then."

No comments: