Thursday, August 11, 2005

Taking the "pride" out of "Pride and Prejudice"

Some friends of mine were discussing the trailer for the new "Pride and Prejudice" film due out in September, starring Keira Knightley. It seems that Austen fans are convinced it's going to be a train wreck, and they aren't too fond of Knightley taking on the vaunted Elizabeth Bennet role. I can understand that, but I'll probably see it anyway.

Wow, the Internet has certainly changed English class. You can not only read "Pride and Prejudice" online, but the online version does things like hyperlink character names, place names and other terms.

My favorite P&P line: "I do not cough for my own amusement," replied Kitty fretfully.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite line is from Chapter 20, when Mr. Bennet says to Mrs. Bennet, "I have not the pleasure of understanding you. Of what are you talking?"

-- Jo

Anonymous said...

my favorite comes later in that conversations...
``An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. -- Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do.''

Anonymous said...

I saw an advance screening of the film earlier this summer and thought the film was delightful. It is a very nice change from most of the lame Hollywood pictures of the summer.

Anonymous said...

I'm so distracted by Keira Knightley's bangs . . .

Anonymous said...

Ken declares:
Yes, yes, but it has Dame Judi Dench in it, portraying Lady Catherine de Berg! This is extremely vexing!