Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Find the damn broccoli!

My former co-worker, James Lileks, is pretty much the recognized king of writing funny captions for horrible food photos, but that doesn't mean others can't do it well, too.

The Company Cookbook has some pretty awesome entries.

Says one entry: "Ok, before you laugh, please know that the chef says, 'This recipe was handed down from my grandmother and has been in the family for years.' The recipe is basically two boxes of orange jello and a carton of Cool Whip. Now you can laugh."

And another: "The cookbook calls this one 'Open Face Sandwich.' I call it 'Someone Forgot About That Damn Cookbook Deadline and Assembled This Using Ingredients Swiped From the Office Charity Food Drive Box'."

3 comments:

Dimestore Lipstick said...

Watergate Salad (a/k/a "The Green Dessert"), casseroles with Tots on top, cookbooks requiring an extensive collection of Pyrex...yep. My childhood.

Anonymous said...

I'm a long-time fan of the company cookbook - it would make a great addition to 5-link Friday!

Anonymous said...

FUNNY! When I was pregnant, my "due in December" message board put together a "December Mommies" cookbook. The tatertot casserole was one recipe. But they also had lots of vegetarian healthy foods.

My favorite entry at the site you linked us to was the tater tot cassrole and how it was next to a teeny tiny barbacue, like the casserole was this massive, gigantoid casserole for the giant people that live near a stadium.