Monday, November 07, 2005

Playing with the Brits

I linked to this on my MSNBC.com Weblog, Test Pattern, but thought I should also mention it here.

I've seen plenty of American lists of top toys from our childhoods, but I don't think I've seen a British list before. TV Cream's Top 100 Toys includes plenty of items that will be familiar to Americans (Rubik's Cube, Shrinky Dinks) as well as quite a few that could only play in the UK (Subbuteo, a tabletop soccer game).

You'll enjoy the comments, especially this, from a description of #61, Rock ’Em Sock ’Em Robots: "The Americans sure knew how to name toys. We, to be honest, didn’t. So, while this boxing automaton chestnut went under one of the best names for any game, or indeed any thing, ever, in the States, the rather rarer British version was renamed... Raving Bonkers Fighting Robots." (Apparently, they're not kidding.)

Via Scrubbles.

1 comment:

Dimestore Lipstick said...

The Mercury Maze left me visibly shaken. While I'm not crazy about today's nanny society, it frightens me to think that not too long ago, we give kids poisonous heavy metals as a toy.