Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Please come to Boston

I'm back from Baahstahn, where we met up with dear old friends, visited Harvard, toured Paul Revere's house, shopped at Quincy Market, visited the Yankee Candle headquarters, and more.

We also took a day trip to Bennington, Vermont, where we visited Bennington Potters, paid tribute at Robert Frost's grave, and explored the Bennington College campus, inspiration for the fictional colleges in Donna Tartt's "Secret History" and Bret Easton Ellis' "Rules of Attraction." I don't know why it took me so long to visit New England -- it's full of so much history and energy, and those little states are so tiny you can see a bunch of them without really driving terribly far.

And I didn't even mention our little three-hour detour to the Massachusetts General emergency room when both of the JetBlue provided earplugs broke off deep in Rob's ears.

What an adventure!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you've come to visit New England (my neck of the woods). Hope you have time to spend in New Hampshire (I recommend the Lakes Region) and Maine (I recommend Boothbay).

Dimestore Lipstick said...

She said no, would you come home to me
And she said, hey ramblin' boy, why don't you settle down
Boston ain't your kind of town
There ain't no gold and there ain't nobody like me
I'm the number one fan of the man from Tennessee


Thanks for the David Loggins flashback!
And what weird and annoying thing to happen to poor Rob! Were they the noise-excluding kind, or the listening kind?

utenzi said...

"And she said, hey ramblin' boy, why don't you settle down? Boston ain't your kind of town"

Bennington College is great to visit but hard to afford. I used to live across Lake Champlain from Vermont and it's a very pretty region. A mite cold tho.