Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Ho-ho holiday

The Onion AV Club's 16 Morally Dubious Holiday Entertainments.

Fun idea, but I have to say the lyric they mock, "tonight thank God it's them, instead of you" never bothered me, and instead chilled me.

I always read it for the truly rare thing in contemporary music...stating something it didn't mean and then not explaining it. It seemed like it was putting us up against a secret truth, and it made me uncomfortable, but I appreciated it. And every time I hear it it still give me a combination guilty/appreciate what you have vibe.

The Onion's suggestion: "Tonight, let's pray nobody is starving" -- are they serious? That is very Hallmark card and doesn't make you confront any real feelings at all.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I've always loved "Do They Know It's Christmas?" because of that line. I don't know how they intended it, but it comes off as the pure 80's arrogance of the rich. It's sort of gloriously tacky and awful.

Perhaps they did mean it your way, but my 10 year old self couldn't understand and thus have never been able to shake the feeling of it being one of the most insensitive lines in any Christmas song ever.

Anonymous said...

The article fails to mention the most disturbing thing about "The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus" (which has bothered me since I first saw it as a kid). Then entire movie is about spirit elders deciding whether or not to make Santa immortal becuase after his final sleigh ride he's going to die! How's that for Xmas fun; a movie about Santa's impending demise.