Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The most commercial time of the year

Commercial I like: The goofy slacker singing about how he didn't check his credit report online and now he has to work at a seafood restaurant/live in his inlaws' basement.

Except a couple things always, always bug me and Rob about the living in the basement thing. First, he sings that if his "dream girl" hadn't messed up her credit, they'd be living in a "pleasant suburb." Um, what guy in a band that you know is dreaming of living in a suburb? Pleasant hipster city neighborhood, maybe. Also, even if her credit was a mess, he obviously was no great money manager himself, or he'd be able to buy a house on his own, so quit with the blame game, Slacker Dude! It also bugs Rob that the guy is obviously lip-synching, but that escaped me.

Commercial that perplexes me: The 20something who's going to buy mom a crystal turtle but instead decides what she wants is for him to wear a new suit to Christmas dinner. Um, what? My mom would think it was a pretty big waste of money if one of my brothers bought a suit to wear to a casual family dinner (note that no one else is in a suit). I get, I guess, that it's supposed to be a sign that he's growing up (right?) but it still doesn't sit right with me. But I don't feel strongly enough to dislike it, unlike...

Commercial series I HATE: The stupid ones with the stupid women who are texting their friend on her date, and they all go to pieces because "He went to Jared!" First off, who texts their friends from a date? Especially a date with someone who knows you well enough to give you diamond earrings?

Secondly, are we really stuck in the 1950s where women are completely in thrall to a guy giving them jewelry? And wouldn't they say "Aw, he thought enough of our friend to give her a gift, rather than care what weird store he went to? I am not into brand names, but even I know that this is not a Tiffany blue box we are talking about here.

And finally who names their mall chain jewelry store after the now-thin guy from the Subway ads? Is this a new trend? Will there now be gas stations named Kevin, hardware stores named Scott, and countries named Chad? Whoops.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm glad you put up another post about commercials, Gael, because I really need to complain about the Quizno's ad that's currently airing.:)

I hate that 'average' woman is thrilled to pieces that 'pretty' woman is jealous of her, and I hate that the product is called 'sammies.' The word is sandwiches, not 'sammiches.' Argh!

Anonymous said...

I'm not even sure what this is a commercial for, but there's a little boy who opens his gifts and they're all pink and girly and then he writes a letter to Santa that says "Dear Santa, Kelly is a boy's name too. Love, Kelly"

It always makes me think of my sister Kelly. She was supposed to be a boy named Kelly, and when she was born and was actually a girl, my folks decided to name her Kelly anyway.

curt brown said...

And how about that one with the mother that is soooo zonked out with a cold that she can't even take care of her kids?
Suck it up and deal lady!

Abby said...

I, too, hate that suit commercial! Mostly because he comes in wearing the suit, and I always yell at the TV, "What your mom really wanted was for you to cut your damn hair!"

I will now return to my regular schedule of yelling at neighborhood kids to get off my lawn.

Anonymous said...

I cannot think of the country Chad without thinking of this Axis of Evil bit from a few years ago:

http://tinyurl.com/287oqa

It kills me every time.

Anonymous said...

I HATE that Jared commercial! What's worse is that when the friends text her boyfriend to ask if he has a brother, they read the text! Who answers/reads/sends texts on a date like that??

Todd Carruth said...

All right, I will throw in my 2 cents. There is current car commercial running here in Texas (maybe national) where the guy calls his wife at home (from the front yard ) and says he is running late and he can't pick up their kid. She sounds all put out but agrees to pick their son up. He tries to tell her he loves her but she HANGS UP ON HIM. He even acknowledges this rude behavior to his kid by saying, "Huh, she hung up" as they stand by the new luxury car waiting for the ungrateful wench to come out of the house. Nice manners, sweetheart. Be glad you didn't hang up on me or that car would back at the dealership in a flash.

Deanna said...

I think the guy singing in the restaurant and his in-law's basement is lip synching badly on purpose. I think it's what they're going for. If you notice his guitar playing, his fingers never move on the fretboard either.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted about those inane Jared commercials. BARF!

And I agree with another commenter that the suit-for-Christmas commercial is wee bit lame because I'm certain the mom would have prefered a haircut over that ill-fitting suit.

p.s. happy belated 40th.

shoppista said...

THANK YOU for sharing my hate of the Jared commercials. WTF? Aside from, as you said, Tiffany's, no one cares, EVER, where your jewelry came from.

Anonymous said...

A couple nights ago I was going to show my husband the obligatory cheesy present one of my co-workers gave me, which happened to come in a small non-descript box. And my husband promptly squealed, "Ohmigod, she went to Jared!"
Seriously, that commercial is the worst thing ever. All the jewelry commercials are ridiculous. The Kay Jewelers ones bug me too (a wishbone, a cleverly altered version of Twas the Night Before Christmas...ahh, what witty ad execs you are!)
Gael, you should remember these come summer when you get in to your crappy commercials groove. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and the Kia 'Maniac' commercial is freaky.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Todd on that Lexus commercial. Honey, that car is going back REAL quick you pull that stuff.

Anonymous said...

I hate that Lexus commercial with that ungrateful cunt that hangs up on the husband because he says that he cannot pick up the kid because he is stuck AT WORK. Do you like that gigantic roof over your ungrateful head, bitch? I'd be kicking your ass out to the curb and making you watch me drive that pretty Lexus back to the dealership...or maybe I'd just run your fucking ass over with it and make the snow a pretty crimson color for Christmas.