Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ruuuubik! He's our frieeeeeend!

I found an awesome retro blog, Bubbledog, which features the most amazing page about scratch-n-sniff stickers that I think I've ever seen.

Trend brand were my favorites, the little roundys with the amazing repertoire of scents.

But what I had to share from Bubbledog was this cartoon intro from the long-forgotten cartoon, "Rubik, the Amazing Cube." I can't help but think of the poor screenwriter who was told "we got the rights to this square twisty game thingie...write us some cartoon where it talks, will ya?"

The voice of Rubik? Provided by none other than HORSHACK! The show had three young Hispanic protagonists, and in the opening credits below, the cube falls off a stagecoach. I don't know. It's like they just played MadLibs and came up with an ethnicity, a mode of transportation, and a 1970s washed-up TV star. It could have just as easily been three African-American kids who find Rubik after he falls off the space shuttle and his voice is provided by Greg Evigan.

No comments: